How To Become A Fulltime Blogger
What would you do if you weren’t afraid??
Did you know I wanted to write a blog for a long ass time before I finally decided to get the fuck over myself and launch radicaltransformationproject.com? I’m talking a really really long ass time, like ten years or something nuts.
I was always waiting for the right time, the right idea or the right thing to say. Guess what?
The right time is always now.
To be honest with you most big dreams kind of suck in the beginning. When I first went online no one was following me anywhere, my website was butt ugly and I had no freaking idea what I was doing. I still kind of don’t. That’s the thing with big dreams, you have to just jump in.
There is no perfect time.
There’s only hard work and doing the damn thing even when you don’t know how.
Doing the damn thing when you’re broke and tired.
Doing the damn thing when you have no idea WTF you are doing and have to google things like “what to do if my website is broken?”.
Waiting is a waste of your time.
There is no perfect time, there is only doing the damn thing or wasting your damn time.
The right time is always NOW. If you’re ready to launch a blog now keep reading.
I had wanted to start a blog for a really long time but I was freaking scared.
I was worried that I wasn’t educated enough about mental health to make a damn difference to anyone.
After all, I’m not a professional and I had just had a spectacular relapse into anxiety and depression just a couple weeks ago.
Why the hell did I think I could say anything that would matter to anyone?
I let these fears stop me for a long time but as my New Years resolution, I decided that despite of feeling scared and insecure, I was going to do it.
The chance that my story might resonate with someone didn’t inspire me to move past my fear but it did inspire me to do it anyways.
I thought only a few dozens, or maybe if I was really lucky, a few hundred people would read what I had to say.
I was blown away when only a few months later over a thousand people were visiting my site every day.
I was shocked so many people were relating to my experiences and the material I was sharing.
It’s not because I’m the most educated person about mental health (I’m not and if you need real help you should see a therapist) or I’m a great writer. It’s because I had a truth to tell and I want to encourage you to tell your truth too.
There are so many people in this world fighting through depression, anxiety, grief or struggling with any number of things that life has thrown at them.
If you want to start a blog, I promise you that there are people out there that need to hear your experiences, advice and perspective.
Someone out there is lost and can find inspiration in what you have to say.
You don’t have to be an expert, you just have to show up and be authentic. I love this quote by David Orr;
“The plain fact is that the planet does not need more successful people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these qualities have little to do with success as we have defined it.”
The blogging world doesn’t need more self-help experts, it needs your authentic stories, imperfections and experiences.
I always loved reading blogs and admired other bloggers.
I didn’t think I would ever have the courage to put myself out there and have a blog of my own.
On New Years Eve I was once again depressed and directionless.
I had been writing in my journal trying to figure out what was next for me and just having a struggle-fest overall.
In the airport on the way home. I knew I couldn’t go back without any of the answers I was searching for.
So I decided 2017 would be the year that I got over my fear and started a blog.
You can hear the whole story on my Blogging Breakthroughs Podcast
I’ve always done well with a challenging goal in front of me and when I’m not working towards something I feel lost and depressed.
My blog gave me a project and a new goal to work towards.
It gave me a purpose that has been a blessing over these last few months and I’m hoping it can do the same for you.
I’m sharing my story with you to urge you to put your fear aside and share your voice with the world.
A year ago at this time my life was completely different.
I worked an 8am-5pm schedule and sat in an office all day. Any time off had to be approved by my boss and I only had a limited amount of time I could take off.
I had limited upward mobility and completed the same tasks for years without any change in pay besides an annual 1% raise we got at Christmas.
Now I am free to work ANY hours that I want.
I can take off as much or as little time off as I want and I’m free to work from anywhere in the world.
There are lots of ways I can choose to grow my income by making more content, working with new brands, creating more content or offering new services.
I’m even planning to work and travel in Italy and Croatia this summer.
I read a ton of articles about people living the “location free” lifestyle before I started and it sounded amazing.
Honestly, it’s everything everyone said it is and more.
I wanted to write this article for all the new bloggers out there who are struggling.
This is how to have a success mindset and become a fulltime blogger.
First things first, go ahead and grab these free resources I rounded up for you.
- The Essential Blog Post Promotion Checklist
- The Beginners Guide to Branding Your Blog
- How To Setup a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog
- 15 Mobile Apps Every Blogger Needs
- 10 Steps To Take When a Blog Post Goes Viral
- 7 Surefire Ways to Boost Your Blogging Income Overnight
- 120 Awesome Blog Post Ideas
- Blog Structure Blueprint
- Secret Blueprint for Blogging Success
- Bad Blogging Habits
- Remember Your Why-Hopefully you started your blog for a bigger reason than making money and you have a message in your heart you want to share. I started my blog to help other women with their mental health and anytime I want to give up I remember how shitty and alone I felt when I was depressed. I remind myself that there are other women suffering the exact same way I used to suffer and that motivates me to keep going and try my best to help them out a little. There are tons of articles and income reports going around the internet right now that make becoming a fulltime blogger an easy way to make a quick buck but that isn’t the truth for most people. You have to have a fire in your heart for what you’re talking about that will keep you going through all the suck at the beginning which brings me to my next point…
- It’s Supposed to Suck-When you first start out your posts aren’t going to be very good, your website will be lousy and the only person reading will probably be your Mom. That’s OK! The beginning is supposed to suck. Ask any successful blogger about their early posts and content and they will most likely cringe. Don’t let the suck of the beginning kill your dream. This is only a phase and you have to keep going to get through it. The more it sucks, in the beginning, the better your success story will be when you’re killing it as a fulltime blogger.
- Don’t Compare Your Journey-Everyones timeline and journey as a blogger is completely different. Don’t compare yourself or your work to anyone else. It’s easy to see that so-and-so in your niche is killing it on social media or another blogger that started at the same time as you is already getting tons of pageviews and get discouraged. The timeline for growing a blog depends on tons of factors including the time you have to dedicate to it, the amount of money you invest in it and what kind of experience you already have with technology and social media. There’s also an element of luck that plays into growing a following. Comparing yourself to other people will distract you from your own journey and discourage you faster than you can say “I want to quit”. Keep your head down and your eyes in your own lane.
- Believe It’s Possible-You have to believe in your heart that you deserve success and the life you want is totally possible. Trust me, there will be a million obstacles that come up during your journey to becoming a blogger. That’s just part of the game and it happens to everyone. Your website will crash, your traffic will stall and your brilliant idea will completely flop. If you have a success mindset and believe that YOU ARE GOING TO SUCCEED you won’t let ANY failure stop you. Honestly, that’s the mentality you have to have to make it as a fulltime blogger. No matter how shitty and terrible things are going you have to know that eventually you will succeed and keep going. This is going to feel crazy at times because when you’ve been working for months without making a dime success feels real far away. Anyone that tells you-you’re going to make money as a new blogger is full of complete shit. You should expect to work for free for months and months and sometimes even years before making a dime. You just have to know in your heart that at some point it will work out and you will have success. Make it your mission to help as many people as possible and focus on that.
If you want to live the blogger lifestyle it is totally possible for you.
I grew my blog from a hobby to a fulltime income in ten months.
However, I invested a ton of time and money to make it happen and I almost gave up more times than I can count.
I had no experience or any idea what I was doing but I was determined to create a job for myself that I would love doing.
I think having a success mindset was a critical and not enough people talk about it in the blogging community.
When I started my blog I made a promise to myself that I would NOT give up no matter how long it took.
There’s nothing special about me and if I can do it you can do it too. Ready to get started?
Grab my free blogging blueprint below.
Everyone has a unique perspective and you have something valuable to add to the dialogue. There are so many issues and experiences that still are still taboo. From eating disorders, addiction or just how to find joy there are so many topics that are not talked about enough. If you want to take the plunge I’ve listed some of the tools and resources I use below.
These are affiliate links which means if you purchase something I will get a small commission (at not extra cost to you). These are the actual products and services I use to run my blog.
I had dreamed about starting a mental health blog for YEARS before I started this day. If I could go back in time I would have stopped wasting time and just started my blog instead of putting it off. If you’ve been thinking about writing a blog, don’t wait like I did. I love running Radical Transformation Project and I wish I had started it years ago. This guide will show you how I got my site up and running for cheap. These are the exact services and steps I used to get my blog going when I was just starting out.
How To Start a Blog For Cheap
Use my free Blogging Blue Print to help get started. After you’ve filled out the blueprint you’ll have your blog categories, topic ideas and name ready to go. Once you have the details of your blog you can go ahead and get it set up.
Use Bluehost to get web hosting for 3.95 per month. Bluehost is perfect for when you are starting out because they are cheap and easy to use plus they will give you a domain name for free. Once you register your domain and pay for hosting go ahead and install WordPress and you’ll be ready to go.
Get a Free Theme
Eventually, you might want to invest in a paid theme or even a web designer to get your blog looking fancy. For now, just worry about getting as much useful content up as you can. Once your blog starts making a little money or you have a large audience you can upgrade your blog. In the beginning, use a free theme WordPress theme. Try a couple different themes and colors until you find something that you like. You can build a nice looking blog using a free theme with a little bit of time.
Sign up for Mailerlite
Mailerlite is free for the first 1,000 subscribers which makes it perfect for starting a blog for cheap. Collecting email addresses is one of the most important things you can do for your blog. Go ahead and signup for a Mailerlite account ASAP. They have a feature that will allow you to create forms you can use on your blog to collect email addresses. You will want to make sure people can signup for your email list before you start driving traffic to your blog. I used Mailerlite to create the email forms that are on this post.
You can use the free version of Canva to start creating Pinterest images and graphics for your blog. Canva is a great program to learn and I still use it for all of my blog graphics. Play around with different fonts and colors and start developing a look for your brand. You can also use Canva to create your email opt-in. You need to make something free that you can give away in exchange for your readers giving you their email address. Canva is great for making worksheets, checklists or workbooks that you can give away on your blog. I used it to create the New Blog Blueprint that I am giving away with this post.
Create a Bunch of Content
Creating great content doesn’t cost you anything. Try and write tons of useful, informative and entertaining posts for your blog. Growing a blog takes a ton of patience. You need to be OK with no one reading your blog at first. Use this quiet time when you’re just starting to become a content writing machine. Challenge yourself to see how many posts you can get done in a week. Get so busy creating content that you don’t worry about traffic.
I use Tailwind to pin my posts on Pinterest. This is how I get almost all of my traffic. Tailwind is easy to use. After you set it up it posts your pins for you and sends traffic to your site with very little effort.
No Bullshit Blogging Bootcamp
*update* I have been getting so many questions about how I turned this blog into a fulltime business over the past year that I created a course to show you exactly how I did it. You can find all the information for my No Bullshit Blogging Bootcamp here. It is a behind the scenes look at exactly how I launched this blog and started making fulltime income in only ten months. This is all the information I wish I would have had when I started. I packed this course with all the best blogging tips and tricks i have learned on my blogging journey so far. If you want to start a blog, you need this course. You will not find a better course at a cheaper price. I spent thousands of dollars learning everything I packed into the Bootcamp and I’m giving the info to my readers for a fraction of the price. Go grab it here.
I’ve been working on is a brand new newsletter that will just be focused on entrepreneurship and blogging. This time last year I was working an 8-5 desk job that should have been great but the reality was I found myself growing more and more unhappy by the day. I started to read about other women who had built online businesses and had successfully become their own bosses. During a particularly stressful day at my job, I decided if they could do it I could do it too. It was like something in my brain snapped and I just decided that no matter what I would build my own business. Even if it took years I wouldn’t give up. Well, lucky for me it didn’t take years. In fact, ten months later I was making more from my online business than I was at my day job and I wasted no time putting in my notice.
This has been such a crazy journey and I’ve been wanting to write about it and share everything I’ve learned. I tried to start a second blog but I don’t have time and my #1 passion will always be mental health. I decided to start a free newsletter for women who want to start blogging or start their own business. I’ve spent countless hours and thousands of dollars taking courses and hiring coaches to learn this information and now I’m going to pass all the best info to you for free. I believe owning your own business is a life-changing opportunity and I want to help other women live their dreams. If you’re interested use the form below to sign up for my girl boss newsletter.
I am not a licensed therapist or mental health professional. If you are suffering from a major disorder and need treatment please seek the help of a professional. If you need help finding a mental health care provider call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit BetterHelp to talk to a certified therapist online at an affordable price. This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure policy here.Radical Transformation Project.com is committed to providing information on mental health and personal development, but is not written by a health care professional. All material provided at radicaltransformationproject.com is for informational purposes only, and is not to be taken as medical advice or recommendation. Any health concern or condition should be addressed by a doctor or other appropriate health care professional. The information and opinions found on this website are written based on the best data available at the time of writing, and are believed to be accurate according to the best discernment of the author. Those who do not seek council from the appropriate health care authority assume the liability of any harm which may occur. The publisher of this site is not responsible for any errors or omissions in any content herein. Radical Transformation Project is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.