I am not a licensed therapist. If you are suffering from a major disorder and need treatment please seek the help of a professional. If you need help finding a mental health care provider call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit BetterHelp to talk to a certified therapist online at an affordable price. You can download a free printable list of hotlines here and join the free mental health support group on Facebook here. This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure policy here.
I suck at making small talk, I can go from friendly to real freaking awkward very quick. It’s tough out here for us introverts but I’ve been trying to challenge myself to make small talk with stranger everyday. Lately, I’ve been trying to have conversations with people when I’m in the elevator at work. Here are some small talk conversation starters I’ve been trying out. Having a few things in mind that I can throw out helps keep me from getting awkward and weird.
Here are some openers you can use:
1) I like your bag, is it new?
2) That’s such a pretty dress, where did you get it?
3) You have great hair, who is your stylist?
4) Did you see the new episode of (tv show) last night?
5) I heard the new movie (movie name) is good, have you seen it?
6) Is that (whatever they are drinking or eating) good?
7) Do you work/live in the building?
8) How did you end up at (name of event)?
9) Is this your first time at (name of event)?
10) Did you see the (sports team) game last night?
11) How old is your son/daughter?
12) Are you getting away this summer?
13) Your dog is so cute, where did you get him?
14) Do you know if there’s anywhere good to eat in the area?
15) It’s supposed to be nice out this weekend, do you have any plans?
16) Do you know many people at this event?
17) The craziest things happened to me (short story)
18) Are you from here?
19) It looks like nice/rainy out, do you have any plans later?
You guys know I am TED talk obsessed. Here are some of my favorite TED talks about starting conversations.
I would love it if you join my internet family! Checkout Facebook/Twitter for informational articles and Instagram for inspirational quotes to keep you going. Follow me on SnapChat to see me get through the day to day grind (also videos of my cute pup!). I always try to follow you guys back.